2018 World Cup: Lionel Messi keen to avoid Spain
Subscribe to Newsletter | Business & Job Opportunies Saturday, 18 November, 2017 Twitter
HOME » SPORT GIST » 2018 World Cup: Lionel Messi keen to avoid Spain

2018 World Cup: Lionel Messi keen to avoid Spain

Published: November 8, 2017 | 4:22 pm
By: AFP

Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi says the worst possible draw for his Argentina side at next year’s World Cup would be Spain in the first round.

Lionel Messi

“The worst that could happen to us would be to draw Spain at the group stages,” Messi told TyC Sports Wednesday from Moscow where Argentina play Russia in a friendly on Saturday.

“I would prefer to avoid them, they’d be tough opponents.”

In the interview with the Argentinian television station, Messi named Brazil, Germany and France alongside Spain as favourites to take the World Cup crown in Russia.

“I think that at the moment, they’re the strongest teams who give the best impressions, those who are playing best, with the best individuals.”

Messi also broached Argentina’s last-gasp qualification for the World Cup finals, which the Barcelona star sealed with a hat-trick in a rare 3-1 away victory over Ecuador.

“I always believed we’d get there, but I thought we would have tied up qualification before the Ecuador game,” said Messi, reiterating that he would like to end his career in his Argentinian birthplace of Rosario.

“I would love to play for Newell’s Old Boys, in the stadium where I’ve seen so many matches,” he said.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen in the coming years, how I’m going to feel. I live from day to day, I’m not focused on the future.”

Tags in this article:
Lionel Messi |

READ ALSO: My Son Is Fan Of Lionel Messi, Says Cristiano Ronaldo

Copyright Dailyafricagist.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from Dailyafricagist.

Do You Like This Story?

Become a Fan On Facebook and Follow Us On Twitter

Related News Topics

All News

Jonathan’s administration won gold in corruption - Bola Tinubu
The All Progressives Congress chieftain, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, on Thursday in Abuja said the Goodluck Jonathan administration won gold medal in corrupt....
Read More...

Zimbabwe: Robert Mugabe refuses to stand down in talks with military
Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, the world’s oldest head of state, refused to resign during a crunch meeting Thursday with military generals ....
Read More...

Senate to begin debate on 2018 budget bill on November 22 - Saraki
The President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki, says the debate on the 2018 appropriation bill will commence on Wednesday, November 22.
Read More...

Nigeria to sign MoU with Boeing, Airbus over national carrier
The minister of state for aviation, Senator Hadi Sirika says that the Federal Government is set to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Boein....
Read More...

Why we approved Buhari’s $5.5bn loan request - Reps
The House of Representatives on Thursday said it approved the 5.5 billion dollars loan request from the executive because President Muhammadu Buhari i....
Read More...

Why we honoured Nigerian novelist, Chinua Achebe - Google
Technology giant, Google said it honoured Nigerian literary icon, Chinua Achebe on its doodle to underscore his status as a figure of 20th century lit....
Read More...