Manchester united midfielder, Juan Mata wants to match Ryan Giggs, play into 40s
Subscribe to Newsletter | Business & Job Opportunies Monday, 18 December, 2017 Twitter
HOME » SPORT GIST » Manchester united midfielder, Juan Mata wants to match Ryan Giggs, play into 40s

Manchester united midfielder, Juan Mata wants to match Ryan Giggs, play into 40s

Published: November 23, 2017 | 6:23 pm
By: AFP

Juan Mata wants to follow in the footsteps of Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs and play into his forties at Old Trafford.

Juan Mata

Manager Jose Mourinho’s arrival in 2016 sparked talk that the 29-year-old could be surplus to requirements because the Portuguese had let him leave Chelsea in January 2014.

However, the Spanish playmaker has become an influential figure under Mourinho, whose side are second in the Premier League table.

Mata’s contract at United runs out at the end of the season. The club hold the option to add a further year and the Spain international is open to discussing a longer stay.

Asked if he can see himself finishing his career at United, Mata told ESPN FC: “Why not? I’m 29 and hopefully I can play football for some more years.

Error loading media: File could not be played

“It would be great to play until I’m 40 like Ryan Giggs. But that’s still a bit far, still 11 years.

“I’m happy here. The club is massive, the support we have is massive. I’ve been settled down in the city since year one. Now it’s my fourth year in Manchester.”

Mata launched his Common Goal project earlier this year that aims to encourage footballers to pledge at least one per cent of their wages to charity.

“I would like to be associated with football somehow,” said Mata, referring to his post-playing career.

“I like the Common Goal initiative, the vision of football as a tool for social change and the power football has to improve the world.

“It might be in that direction and I think I would really enjoy it. I don’t know yet. I have time to think about it.”

Tags in this article:
Juan Mata |

READ ALSO: Manchester United to make record bid for Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata

Copyright Dailyafricagist.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from Dailyafricagist.

Do You Like This Story?

Become a Fan On Facebook and Follow Us On Twitter

Related News Topics

All News

PDP Convention: Uche Secondus elected as PDP national chairman
Uche Secondus has been declared the winner of the Peoples Democratic Party’s National Chairmanship election.
Read More...

Former vice president, Atiku Abubakar rejoins PDP
Former Nigerian vice president Atiku Abubakar has returned to the country’s former ruling party, the People’s Democratic Party, less than ....
Read More...

Federal government declares Friday public holiday for Eid-Maulud 
The Federal Government has declared Friday as public holiday to mark the Eid-El-Maulud celebration.
Read More...

Zimbabwe declares Mugabe’s birthday a public holiday
Zimbabwe has made former president Robert Mugabe’s birthday a public holiday, a state daily reported Monday, nearly a week after the long-time r....
Read More...

Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in as Zimbabwe’s new president
Emmerson Mnangagwa vowed sweeping change as he was sworn as Zimbabwe’s president Friday, seeking to reassure foreign investors and pledging to f....
Read More...

Former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar leaves APC
Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has defected from the All Progressives Congress.
Read More...