Etisalat Nigeria sues MTN Nigeria over Visafone acquisition
Subscribe to Newsletter | Business & Job Opportunies Thu, 27 July 2017 Twitter
HOME » TECHNOLOGY ZONE » Etisalat Nigeria sues MTN Nigeria over Visafone acquisition

Etisalat Nigeria sues MTN Nigeria over Visafone acquisition


Published: 2 years ago
Editor: Adigun Abiola, Africa.


Etisalat Nigeria has sued MTN Nigeria and Visafone Ltd, challenging MTNs use of the 800megahertz (MHZ) spectrum following the acquisition of Visafone.





MTN sued the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) over the imposition of N780billion fine on it by the regulator for harbouring some 5.2million pre-registered subscriber identity module (SIM) cards on its network in violation of extant rules.

Etisalat said it considered the action necessary to prevent the use of the spectrum by MTN at this time, as it will entrench the dominance of MTN in the retail data services market.

"You will recall that MTN Nigeria was declared dominant by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) in 2013 and remains dominant in the wholesale leased line and retail voice markets.

"The use of the 800MHz spectrum to deploy broadband services ahead of its competitors, particularly those who prior to MTNs purchase of Visafone, held similar spectrum bands as MTN, will further entrench MTN's dominance in the Nigerian telecommunications sector," Etisalat said in a statement confirmed by its Head of Media, Chineze Amanfo, yesterday.

The telco said it had, in addition to the legal action and in line with Sec tion 86 of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003, engaged the NCC to understand the basis of its decision to approve the acquisition. "As you are aware, the matter is already in court as such, we are restrained from commenting further on the matter," the telco added.


Tags in this article:
News

READ ALSO: Saka Will Port Back To Etisalat After 90 Days - CEO Etisalat Nigeria

Copyright Dailyafricagist.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from Dailyafricagist.


Do You Like This Story?


Become a Fan On Facebook and Follow Us On Twitter


Related News Topics

All News


Flood kill 10 year-old-boy, displace 2,000 people in Katsina state
A 10-year-old boy has lost his life while over 2,000 people have been displaced by a flood disaster that ravaged Kaita town, in Kaita Local Government....
Read More...

Pensioners protest non-payment of arrears, barricade road in Benin
Pensioners in Edo on Monday barricaded popular Oba Ovonramwen Square in Benin for several hours over non-payment of gratuities and pension a....
Read More...

Court dissolves 21-year-old marriage over sex starvation in Ibadan
A Mapo Customary Court, Ibadan, on Monday dissolved the 21-year-old marriage, between one Babatunde Olasupo and his wife Shakirat, over starvation of ....
Read More...

18 dead, 18 people missing in China flooding
Flooding in Chinas northeast has left 18 dead and 18 missing, state media said Monday, after the latest deadly deluge to hit the country this summer.
Read More...

EU allocates 700m euros to develop sustainable energy in Nigeria
The European Union (EU) says it has so far committed over 700 million euros for the development of sustainable energy in Nigeria and other ECOWAS coun....
Read More...

Court papers show how Aluko, Omokore allegedly laundered stolen NNPC’s $1.76b
Court papers in Lagos Nigeria have detailed how oil businessmen, Kolawole Akanni Aluko and Jide Omokore laundered the $1.7 billion creamed off the que....
Read More...