Nigerian famine victims in northeast to double in 2017
Subscribe to Newsletter | Business & Job Opportunies Thu, 27 July 2017 Twitter
HOME » Opinions and Sponsored post » Nigerian famine victims in northeast to double in 2017

Nigerian famine victims in northeast to double in 2017


Published: 8 months ago
Editor: Adigun Abiola, Africa.


Nigeria’s northeastern state of Borno faces an elevated risk of famine, with the number of people affected forecast to roughly double to 115,000 in 2017, according to a food-monitoring agency.





A famine probably occurred between April and August in remote parts of Borno with limited access to food and health services, the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification, developed by the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization, said in a statement on its website Friday.

“There is an elevated likelihood that famine is ongoing and will continue in the inaccessible areas,” the body known as IPC said in the statement. “The main factor contributing to the widespread food insecurity is the persistence of conflict, which has resulted in mass displacements.”

Severe food insecurity has also been driven by below-average crop production, disrupted livelihoods and the financial crisis linked to the depreciation of the naira, the agency said.

Borno is the epicenter of Islamist group Boko Haram’s insurgency, which has killed an estimated 20,000 people and displaced 2.4 million since 2009. The crash in oil prices since 2014 has put Nigeria on the brink of its first full-year contraction in more than two decades, while the naira has plummeted almost 40 percent against the dollar this year.

The IPC said humanitarian workers have helped improve access to food and called on the Nigerian government to “step-up its efforts in providing secure access for aid organizations in the affected zones.”


Tags in this article:
News

READ ALSO: Nigerian army kills two suicide bombers in the northeast

Copyright Dailyafricagist.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from Dailyafricagist.


Do You Like This Story?


Become a Fan On Facebook and Follow Us On Twitter


Related News Topics

All News


Flood kill 10 year-old-boy, displace 2,000 people in Katsina state
A 10-year-old boy has lost his life while over 2,000 people have been displaced by a flood disaster that ravaged Kaita town, in Kaita Local Government....
Read More...

Pensioners protest non-payment of arrears, barricade road in Benin
Pensioners in Edo on Monday barricaded popular Oba Ovonramwen Square in Benin for several hours over non-payment of gratuities and pension a....
Read More...

Court dissolves 21-year-old marriage over sex starvation in Ibadan
A Mapo Customary Court, Ibadan, on Monday dissolved the 21-year-old marriage, between one Babatunde Olasupo and his wife Shakirat, over starvation of ....
Read More...

18 dead, 18 people missing in China flooding
Flooding in Chinas northeast has left 18 dead and 18 missing, state media said Monday, after the latest deadly deluge to hit the country this summer.
Read More...

EU allocates 700m euros to develop sustainable energy in Nigeria
The European Union (EU) says it has so far committed over 700 million euros for the development of sustainable energy in Nigeria and other ECOWAS coun....
Read More...

Court papers show how Aluko, Omokore allegedly laundered stolen NNPC’s $1.76b
Court papers in Lagos Nigeria have detailed how oil businessmen, Kolawole Akanni Aluko and Jide Omokore laundered the $1.7 billion creamed off the que....
Read More...