Angola records first Zika virus cases
Subscribe to Newsletter | Business & Job Opportunies Tuesday, 26 September, 2017 Twitter
HOME » Health News » Angola records first Zika virus cases

Angola records first Zika virus cases


Published: January 9, 2017 | 9:04 pm
By: AFP


Angolan health officials said Monday they had recorded the country’s first two cases of the Zika virus, a French tourist and a resident in the capital Luanda.





The World Health Organization in November announced that the Zika virus no longer posed a global public health emergency after an outbreak centred on Brazil erupted in 2015.

The French tourist left Angola after being diagnosed with Zika two months ago, said Eusebio Manuel, head of the department of hygiene, without further details.


“The second case concerns an Angolan patient who lives in Luanda and was diagnosed last week,” he said, adding that the patient was still hospitalised.
Zika causes only mild symptoms in most people, but pregnant women with the virus risk giving birth to babies with microcephaly — a deformation that leads to abnormally small brains and heads.

In the outbreak that began in mid-2015, more than 1.5 million people have been infected with Zika, mainly in Brazil, and more than 1,600 babies have been born with microcephaly, according to the WHO.


Tags in this article:
Angola | Zika Virus |

READ ALSO: Zika virus "spreading explosively" in Americas - WHO

Copyright Dailyafricagist.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from Dailyafricagist.


Do You Like This Story?


Become a Fan On Facebook and Follow Us On Twitter


Related News Topics

All News


Suicide bombers kill 15 people in Borno state
At least 15 people were killed on Monday when suicide bombers attacked an aid distribution point in northeast Nigeria, in the latest suspected strike ....
Read More...

Security threats: Nigeria Army to conduct more exercises - Gen. Tukur Buratai
The Nigerian Army says it will conduct more exercises to sharpen personnel skills and prepare them to tackle emerging security challenges in the count....
Read More...

Declaring IPOB terrorist organisation is unconstitutional - Senator Bukola Saraki
Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has said the declaration by the Nigerian military that the Indigenous People of Biafra is a terrorist organisation is....
Read More...

EFCC arrests Gombe SEMA Secretary, others over alleged IDP materials diversion
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested the Gombe State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) Secretary, Dr Danlami Rukuje, over....
Read More...

UNICEF urges Boko Haram to stop using children as suicide bombers
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has called on Boko Haram sect to stop the recruitment and use of children as suicide bombers in the ....
Read More...

Walter Onnoghen urges judicial officers to keep to the rules
The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen has advised judicial officers to strictly abide by their oath of office, the provisions of the c....
Read More...