UTME: JAMB withholds 300 results over malpractices
Subscribe to Newsletter | Business & Job Opportunies Tuesday, 26 September, 2017 Twitter
HOME » EDUCATIONAL ISSUE | CAMPUS GIST » UTME: JAMB withholds 300 results over malpractices

UTME: JAMB withholds 300 results over malpractices


Published: May 25, 2017 | 10:34 pm
Editor: Adigun Abiola, Africa.


The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has so far withheld the results of 300 candidates who wrote the unified tertiary matriculation examination (UTME), its Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede has said.





Oloyede said this on Thursday when he featured on Sunrise Daily, a weekly programme on Channels Television in Abuja.

He also said the agency has released the results of 15, 000 candidates, adding that the board has released the results of candidates where it had no problem.

According to him, the board would release results of candidates after it had ensured that they did not participate in malpractices.



Oloyede also said the board would not hesitate to sanction anybody found wanting no matter how highly placed the person is.

“For instance this  morning (Thursday) we have released about 15, 000 results but among those who sat in that centre we have real reasons, concrete evidence to say about 300 of them the results will not be release because they knew they were not in the hall where the examination took place.

“Those who do not receive are qualified not to receive. In all the places where there are no problem we have released the results within 24 hours. But those who have not they may not be culpable but we are investigating.

“Where we have reasons to doubt anything, where we have report of anything that was not acceptable to us we have withheld the results and we keep on releasing them as we clear them.

“We are comparing those who sat for the examination, how long they sat in the hall and when some of them will take excuse that they are going to the toilet only to go to what they call VIP, all these have been able to track and I want to say that we will not hesitate to sanction anybody no matter how highly placed,” he said.

Oloyede also said the board would not impose any candidate on any institutions in the country.



According to him, the board will not take any candidate that has not been recommended by the institution.

“The final say for admission rest squarely with the institutions. Their senates and academic boards are empowered to determine the students. What JAMB does is and what it should continue to do is to moderate, to ensure equity, to ensure that nobody is unfairly treated.



“JAMB should not and will not take any student that has not been recommended by the institution. JAMB was not established to take up the responsibility or to usurp the power of the senate. What JAMB should do is to moderate, take recommendation and ask questions.

“JAMB will give the admission letter but the process of giving the letter must be democratic enough, must not encroach on the powers of the senate and the academic boards of the various institutions.

“We will advise our colleagues who are manning these institutions to be fair and to play according to the rule but we will not impose anything on the institutions,” he said.

He also said that fraudsters who meet the requirements of the organization are establishing computer based test centers just to defraud candidates.

“We now have situation that crooks, people who have no standards are now establishing CBT centres and they are meeting our requirements only to misuse the opportunity.

“We have seen so many of such that we want to call on credible Nigerians, credible institutions, and government agencies. If we can partner with some federal government or state or public institutions to expand their facilities I will be more comfortable.

“We have seen supposedly highly placed individuals who own CBT centres and are using the CBT centres to perpetrate examination malpractices,” he added.


Tags in this article:
Ishaq Oloyede | UTME | JAMB |

READ ALSO: Let Us Help You Check Your 2015 JAMB UTME Results for Free

Copyright Dailyafricagist.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from Dailyafricagist.


Do You Like This Story?


Become a Fan On Facebook and Follow Us On Twitter


Related News Topics

All News


Suicide bombers kill 15 people in Borno state
At least 15 people were killed on Monday when suicide bombers attacked an aid distribution point in northeast Nigeria, in the latest suspected strike ....
Read More...

Security threats: Nigeria Army to conduct more exercises - Gen. Tukur Buratai
The Nigerian Army says it will conduct more exercises to sharpen personnel skills and prepare them to tackle emerging security challenges in the count....
Read More...

Declaring IPOB terrorist organisation is unconstitutional - Senator Bukola Saraki
Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has said the declaration by the Nigerian military that the Indigenous People of Biafra is a terrorist organisation is....
Read More...

EFCC arrests Gombe SEMA Secretary, others over alleged IDP materials diversion
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested the Gombe State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) Secretary, Dr Danlami Rukuje, over....
Read More...

UNICEF urges Boko Haram to stop using children as suicide bombers
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has called on Boko Haram sect to stop the recruitment and use of children as suicide bombers in the ....
Read More...

Walter Onnoghen urges judicial officers to keep to the rules
The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen has advised judicial officers to strictly abide by their oath of office, the provisions of the c....
Read More...